The Dead Sea Scrolls have been hailed the most important archaeological find of the 20th century. From the amazing discovery, careful transportation and preservation methods is just the beginning of sacred documents. Dave Duszynski, Director of Featured Experiences at the Cincinnati Museum Center, guides us through the history and tells us why the Cincinnati stop is a homecoming of sorts.
This interview was recorded on December 16, 2015.
Dave Duszynski of the Cincinnati Museum Center tells the story of how 2,000 year-old copies of Old Testament and extra-Biblical documents, were discovered, preserved, and the fascinating way they are kept and presented today.
Highlights of the interview are included for convenient listening.
- The big discovery (0:50)
- New addition to scrolls (1:45)
- The cave environment(2:43)
- Most intriguing of the scrolls, group believed to have copied the scrolls (4:30)
- How the scrolls are transferred (6:05)
- Regarding safekeeping, Israel, and the Cincinnati connection (7:30)
- 6 Things You May Not Know About the Dead Sea Scrolls, May 7, 2013, History https://www.history.com/news/6-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-dead-sea-scrolls
- Dead Sea Scrolls Digital Library https://www.deadseascrolls.org.il/learn-about-the-scrolls/discovery-and-publication?locale=en_US
- The Scrolls from the Dead Sea, May 7/14, 1955, The New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1955/05/14/the-scrolls-from-the-dead-sea
- Seventy Years of the Dead Sea Scrolls, October 31, 2017, Jerusalem Post https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/culture/seventy-years-of-the-dead-sea-scrolls-510977