Much of America’s history has been dominated by one particular subculture – White, Christian, specifically Protestant Americans. Slowly over the generations and even in the past 10 years, that has begun to change. Dr. Robert P. Jones, CEO of the Public Religion Research Institute and author of The End of White Christian America explains the history, and how the current political and cultural climate has brought it to an end.
This interview was recorded on August 12, 2016
Highlights of the interview are included for convenient listening.
- The beginning of White, Christian America (0:00)
- Obama, immigration and external factors (4:24)
- Not just numbers, institutions and influence (7:46)
- The new gods of America (15:37)
- Coca Cola and a beautiful America (16:50)
- The Declining Influence of White Christian America In Charts, July 19, 2016, USA Today https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-07-19/the-declining-influence-of-white-christian-america-in-charts
- In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at A Rapid Pace, October 17, 2019, Pew Research Center https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/
- ‘Majority Minority’ America? Don’t Bet on It, February 5, 2021, Wall Street Journal https://www.wsj.com/articles/majority-minority-america-dont-bet-on-it-11612549609